Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thrifty Planting Tips

I have a little secret. Actually, a big secret? Do you ever wonder how you can cut down on the amount of soil you use in your planted pots? Or, do you ever put too much soil in your clay pots that you can barely move them? Problem solved.

Simply add styrofoam pieces (aka: packaging peanuts) to the bottom of the pot. I've been doing this little secret for years. Okay, maybe not YEARS, but definitely three houses ago. It works, trust me. What's not to love about making spring planting a little less expensive and more thrifty! I heart thrifty ideas. Not only will the styrofoam helps decrease your soil costs, it also helps with air flow to decrease mold and mildew from over watering.



Happy thrifty planting to you!

To find out more information why soil itself contacts little styrofoam balls, check out this gardening site.


1 comment:

  1. Very smart. I've used up so many bags of soil filling pots and urns, it's crazy. Why didn't I think of that?! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete